Sunday, March 18, 2012

Off track in more than one way


And so it was that in her off track, Beth Hill, after several turns in the road, somehow ended up not in Salt Lake city but in North Dakota working as a burrito slave. Mid semester, mid relationship and with only half a thought I hopped into the tuck of a stranger and made the 10 hour trek out to north dakota. I may have been half running to money and half running from my problems but in the end I think it worked into a satisfactory middle ground. Ie. I made a lot of money and I got time and space from my problems. (If only all my life could be solved with such ease.)
One thing I didn't account for was just the kind of place and situation I was getting myself into. Sleeping on a table that converts into a bed, spending 10 hrs a day in another trailer freezing or cooking to death while simultaneously being hit on by some of the dirtiest and most colorful men I've ever had the obligation to speak with, but at least they tip well. The last 2 months have consisted of waking up getting ready (because i get better tips if i wear makeup) dragging my brother out of bed in time for him to throw on shoes pants and a coat ( who needs a shower everyday?) and heading 4 miles down the 2 lane highway amidst endless fields to which the curve of the earth is the only thing blocking your view, to stand in a trailer and make more burritos everyday then I can or want to keep track of.  The only bits of sanity I have enjoyed out here are 1-The 9 books that my friends lent me 2-Skyping with random friends and one william almost everyday and 3- trips to Walmart or the mall 2 hrs away from here.
Besides the obvious benefit of money, I have had time to get to know my brothers again, which has always been something I wished to do but never had the chance or lack of distraction to do. Things I have realized about my brothers: Adam and I are much more alike then I originally thought, (I've never been happier to be so unoriginal) and Jon is much more flawed and real then I ever had the ability to see before, which makes me love and trust him more then i think i ever have.
But all good and strange things must come to an end and so it is with my pilgrimage to North Dakota. I leave here with my pockets full, my heart rebooted and my mind not quite wrapped around what my life has become but much closer then i was when i got here. Heres to a new adventure, spring semester BRING IT ON!

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing. You're so creative. I miss you friend and can't wait to see you and introduce you to my new little guy. Here's to being close to my "Besty" again!

    ReplyDelete